School's out and it's time for a getaway with the whole family! Of course, there is sun, sand and surf to get excited about, but how about digging deeper to experience the nature and culture of Hawai‘i? So, where to start? Check off our list of must-do activities for kids and parents alike while you are in paradise.
1. Stay and Play. With the Stay and Play package at Embassy Suites Waikiki, you'll check in to a spacious suite with a separate living area which gives families the space they need to be together (but also to spread out!). Plus, included are all the beach essentials you'll need for two days of fun in the sun: sand chairs, an umbrella, a mask and snorkel set or a boogie board from Honolulu Surf Club, located just steps away on Waikiki Beach.
2. Waikiki Aquarium. Learn about Hawai‘i's marine wildlife at the second oldest aquarium in the United States. Come view the color-changing sea horses, camouflage fish and mesmerizing moon jellies. Kids will love the predator tank, home to sharks and gigantic groupers. Hot tip: Embassy Suites Waikiki guests receive complimentary youth entrance per paid adult!
3. Bishop Museum. As the premier natural and cultural history museum in the state, you'll get to immerse yourself in Hawaiʻi's rich culture and heritage. Take in a show at the planetarium, climb inside a (pretend) volcano to learn about lava, and gaze up at a life-size model of a sperm whale in the Hawaiian Hall. Bonus: You'll receive $5 off general admission for up to four hotel guests or one free child with each paying adult.
4. Diamond Head. The silhouette of Le‘ahi (Diamond Head), a volcanic tuff cone, is an iconic sight in Waikiki. Take a closer look at this geological wonder starting from inside the crater and hiking to the top! Heads-up: the 0.8 mile hike is steep and strenuous, including countless stairs and a 225-foot tunnel, but you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Waikiki.
5. Outrigger Canoe Ride. Get a taste of Hawaiian culture and local surf culture by catching a wave via canoe! Located in the lobby of Embassy Suites Waikiki, Big Wave Dave Surf and Coffee will take your family crew out in a nine-person outrigger canoe for some fun in the famous surf breaks of Waikiki. Be prepared to paddle hard and look out for turtles swimming alongside!