Vacationing is hard work! After a surf lesson, a hike up Le‘ahi (Diamond Head), and shopping along Kalakaua Avenue, you're sure to work up an appetite. When your stomach starts to grumble, feed your cravings with the unique flavors and combinations found here in Waikiki. Read on for our list of delectable dishes unique to Hawai‘i which offer a glimpse into local culture.
1. BBQ Kalua Pig Sliders – If you book Embassy Suites Waikiki's Work And Play Package, you'll be treated with cocktails and appetizers from Giovanni Pastrami Waikiki located across the street on Waikiki Beach Walk. The tender pork and sweet sauce melt in your mouth. Heads-up: Keep the napkins handy as these sandwiches are known to be mouth-watering, but messy!
Photo: Musubi Cafe Iyasume
2. Musubi – Who knew rice balls could be so addicting? Hawai‘i is notorious for it's signature combination: SPAM musubi. However, our new neighbor, Musubi Cafe Iyasume, takes culinary creativity to the next level with crazy musubi combos, like Shrimp Avocado SPAM, Double Bacon and Egg SPAM, and Cucumber Ume SPAM. Hot tip: grab a few on your way to the beach for the perfect portable protein!
3. Poke Bowl – A popular Hawaiian lu‘au (feast) dish, "poke" literally means to cut into pieces. It is traditionally prepared with raw fish, shoyu (soy sauce), green onions, kukui nut and limu (seaweed). Try poke at Poke Bar on Waikiki Beach Walk which uses only the freshest Hawaiian ‘ahi (tuna). The best part is customizing your dish with endless toppings, proteins and mix-ins!
Photo: Roy's Waikiki
4. Frying Dragon Roll – For a refined bite, head to Roy's Waikiki for a luxurious starter sushi roll packed with unagi, avocado, misoyaki butterfish, macadamia nuts, and spicy wasabi sauce. It's slightly sweet, slightly spicy and satisfyingly crunchy! Be sure to make reservations, so you get to try this special Pacific Rim roll.
5. Piña Colada Craze Smoothie – We'll end with a sweet sip from Big Wave Dave Surf & Coffee located in the Embassy Suites Waikiki lobby. Bursting with island flavors this chill drink is crafted with pineapple, banana, coconut milk, and topped with whipped cream and shaved coconut. We recommend ordering one with a side of surf lessons (also available in the shop)!
Header Photo: Poke Bar